Swimming Pool Start up - Opening a pool.
1. First remove the pool cover, being careful not to let leaves or debris fall into the water.
2. Clean your cover with a proper cover cleaner and store it in a dry, clean area away from the sun and weather.
3. Check the condition of the pump, filter and skimmer. Make sure they are in good working order so your chemicals can work as they should.
4. Fill the pool to the proper level. Vacuum if necessary.
5. Run filter for 24 hours.
6. Take water test after 24 hours
Check PH of your pool water. Normal range should be 7.4 to 7.6 (neutral). If under 7.4, add alkalinity increaser. If over 7.6, add alkalinity decreaser.
Shock treat your water overnight – 1lb of shock per 10,000 gallons of water.
Add algaecide per directions on the bottle
Add chlorine to kill any bacteria in the pool
Add stabilizer to skimmer, replace tablets when they dissolve.
7. Install dive board, grab rails and ladders. Make sure they are safe and working properly.
8. Clean all winter items, plugs, gizmos and deflate water tubes holding your cover down. Store away for use next seas.
9. Once the pool water tests normal (neutral, see 6A above), add chlorine weekly to maintain balance throughout the pool season. Test water often and keep the chemicals balanced throughout summer usage.
Most swim pool stores that sell chemicals offer “Pool Opening Kits” to make your job easier. Opening kits are sold based on the gallon amount of water in your pool.
To Determine the Size of your Pool in Gallons
Rectangular Pool = Length x Width X Average Depth x 7.5
Round Pool = Diameter x Diameter x Average Depth x 5.9
Oval = Length x Width x Average Depth x 6.7
Make sure you equipment, pump, filter and motor are in good condition. All “O” rings are properly lubed. I the pool water level is low, fill to about 6” below deck. Water should run freely into your skimmer. Test your water. Clean and store your winter cover. Put all your winter plugs away for use next winter. If you discover any problems, call your local pool supply store for help.
USE YOUR POOL SAFELY - MAKE SURE ALL SMALL CHILDREN ARE ATTENDED WHILE AT YOUR POOL.
ENJOY THE HOT SUMMER IN YOUR COOL POOL!!!